Noyes Home for Children
Title: Kitchen Manager
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
FLSA Position: Non-Exempt
This position requires graduation, or certification of graduation equivalency, from an accredited high school or adult learning institution.
This position does not require prior food service experience but is preferred. In order for prior experience to be considered, the food service experience must include verifiable experience in being the person primarily responsible for preparing meals for a minimum of 20 persons.
1. The applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
2. The applicant must be free from felony conviction or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude and must not receive a conviction of such while an active employee.
3. The applicant must not have been named as the perpetrator in any substantiated abuse or neglect complaint.
4. The applicant must be free from the use of controlled substances and demonstrate such by submitting to a pre-hire drug screen and periodic random drug screens while employed.
5. The applicant must be able to speak, write, and read English to the extent necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.;
6. The applicant must be employable in the U.S. and provide verification of identify prior to hire.
Essential Functions of Position:
The person who occupies the position of Kitchen Manager must possess the appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the following essential functions of this position.
1. Is responsible for building nutritious menus that fit within the budget.
2. Is responsible for the preparation of all meals served while on duty in accordance to the menu.
3. Is responsible for minimizing food waste by using established menus and recipes to determine the appropriate portions to prepare.
4. Is responsible for ensuring that all facility food storage and sanitation standards are followed.
5. Is responsible for ensuring that all food preparation and storage areas are cleaned and maintained within health department guidelines.
6. Is responsible for keeping an inventory of all food used/wasted.
7. Is responsible for ordering food and shopping for Noyes Home.
8. Is responsible for maintaining low food costs and monitoring competitive food prices.
9. Is responsible for other directives and responsibilities given by the Executive Director as needs and situations dictate.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions for Position:
The person who occupies the position of Kitchen Manager must be able to, with reasonable accommodation, perform the essential functions associated with this position. In the performance of the essential functions of this position the person will encounter the following working conditions associated with the normal duties of this position.
Normal job tasks involving the use of the following equipment and materials:
• Gas range
• Convection oven
• Hand mixer
• General hand utensils utilized in food preparation, such as serving spoons, spatulas, graters, cutlery, etc.
• General household cleaning supplies
• Cleaning products specific for use in food preparation areas
• Large upright mixer and grater
• Large can opener
• Food scales
• Three-compartment sink
• Thermometers (meat, refrigerator, etc.)
• Chlorine test strips
General working conditions:
• Indoor kitchen conditions
• Extensive standing and walking
• Moderate lifting and carrying (25-50 lbs)
• Minimal overhead lifting
• Use of stairs while procuring food from storage areas
• Exposure to moderate elevated room temperatures associated with ovens, ranges and refrigeration equipment
Not all possible working conditions associated with this position are listed here. The person performing the duties associated with the position of Cook may, on occasion, encounter other conditions that are not specifically listed here.
Work Schedule for the Position of Kitchen Manager
This is a position that is generally considered day shift. This work schedule will be determined by the Executive Director and is subject to change based on the needs of the facility. Due to the unique nature of this facility, this person may be required to work hours that are outside of their normally designated hours.
Statement of Employment Status/Acknowledgement
I acknowledge receipt of this position description. I understand that the specific duties associated with my position may be modified to meet the changing needs of the facility program. I will be notified by the supervisory team if there are changes in the tasks associated with my position.
I understand that this position description in no way constitutes a contract for employment and that my employment remains at will. My employment may be terminated any time by either myself or the Ladies Union Benevolent Association with or without cause.