(St.Joseph,MO) Attendance in the St.Joseph School District is on the rise after completing the first year of the districts Strive for Five program. The attendance initiative encourages students to miss five or fewer days of school throughout the year. District administrators said the program has paid off by boosting school attendance by three percent.
Last year before starting the program the district had a four-year attendance average of 84 percent.
“Out of the sample of 20 districts, the twenty largest districts in the state. Last year the St.Joseph ranked number 17 in attendance. The improvement this year alone has probably moved us up about four or five places, so we are very encouraged by that. The target of 90.7 will move us a couple more places,” District Director of Secondary Education Chris Hubbuch said
At the beginning of the year, the district set an attendance goal of 87 percent, as of May 9, the attendance rate from all schools across the district averaged out to 87.71 percent.
Hubbuch said the skills students gain by consistently going to school each day is helping them prepare for the workforce.
“Improved attendance will transfer into other positive residuals; improved student achievement, ultimately improved opportunities for students when they leave our system and enter the world of work.That’s the message we are hearing from local employers as well,” Hubbuch said.
Hubbuch said the district plans to raise it’s attendance goal to 90.7 percent attendance over the course of the next school year.
- Attendance on the Rise in St.Joseph Schools
- St.Joseph Sees Growing Need for Senior Housing
- St.Joseph Prepares for First Big Muddy Mini Maker Faire
- Thousands Attend Vigil as Death Toll of Montecito Mudslides Rises to 20; Officials ID Latest Victim as 30-Year-Old Father
- President Trump to attend College Football Championship
- Hundreds Attend Gun Rights Dinner Thanking President
- SeaWorld CEO steps down as attendance slides
- Board of Education Candidates Attend Public Forum
- City Council Candidates Attend Final Public Forum
- Governor Greitens Attends St. Joseph Republican Event