(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Clinton police officer Christopher Ryan Morton was shot and killed Tuesday night while responding to a 911 call from a frantic woman inside a home with 37-year-old James Waters.
Police say Waters shot at officers and a shootout ensued the officers entered.
Officer Morton and Waters were both killed in the shootout and two other officers were injured. The woman inside the home was unharmed.
Since the shooting, more information has been gathered on Waters' troubled past here in St. Joseph.
Records show he lived in midtown St. Joseph and has had his fair share of run-ins with the law.
Waters served jail time for a drug trafficking felony in Buchanan County back in 2008 and was arrested again by St. Joseph Police in 2013.
According to a probable cause statement, Waters ran away from police after following a woman to her home and shot a gun into the air.
While police continue to investigate what went wrong in the incident Tuesday, a community mourns the loss of a respected member of their community.
It is not yet known if the suspect died as a result of the gun battle with police or if it was self-inflicted.
The injured officers were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The deadly shooting comes seven months to the day after another Clinton officer was killed in the line of duty.
- Clinton Shooting Suspect had Criminal Charges in St. Joseph
- St. Joseph Christmas Decorations
- St. Joseph Mayoral Debate
- Descendant of Joseph Robidoux Visits St. Joseph
- Magicians Converge on St. Joseph
- Fall Colors of St. Joseph
- Flu Virus 'Infects' St. Joseph
- St. Joseph Primary Election Results
- St. Joseph Police Seeking Information on Two Potential Suspects
- St. Joseph Woman Charged for Stealing Packages from Local Neighborhood