(St.Joseph,MO) Missouri Western State University is still searching for a historic campus item after a reported theft.
Friday university officials announced to the campus that the Presidential Medallion and the University Mace were taken from storage in Popplewell Hall Thursday night.
The mace is traditionally carried during the processional and recessional of commencement and all formal university events.The medallion is worn by the president in all formal ceremonies.
Director of Public Relations and Marketing Jomel Nicholes said she thinks the items might have been stolen as a part of a graduation prank, but stressed the sentimental value of the mace.
“This particular mace was presented to the university in 2005, when Missouri Western received the university designation. It’s been carried in the commencement and other formal ceremonies since 2005, so it does have a sentimental and historic significance,” Nichols said.
The medallion was discovered Friday evening outside the Griffon Indoor Sports Complex and was able to be used for Saturday’s commencement ceremony, but the mace is still missing.
The mace is described as a four foot pillar topped with the university seal and decorated with bronze plates depicting the university clock tower and a Griffon.
If you have any information of the missing mace, contact university police at 816-271-4438.
- Missouri Western Still Searching for Historic Mace
- Northwest Runs Past Missouri Western
- Missouri Western Football Signing Day
- Missouri Western Offering Free Coach's Clinic
- Missouri Western Celebrates 2017 Winter Graduates
- Missouri Western Women Continue Post-Season Run
- State Cuts Close Missouri Western Apprenticeship Program
- Western Softball Sweeps Missouri Southern Thursday
- Man Accused of Attacking Driver with Medieval Mace
- Jimmy Joe Mace 49, of St Joseph, MO