(MARYVILLE, Mo.) Students at Northwest Missouri State and the entire Maryville community are still trying to cope with the loss of one of their own.
Morgan McCoy, a 19-year-old sophomore at Northwest Missouri State was killed when a drunk driver crashed his car into the Palms Bar.
Now the bar where McCoy died will reopen with a celebration in her honor.
"When this is taken out of the community like that, everybody has lost," The Palms owner Erik Schreiber said.
Northwest was shaken by the loss of one of their Bearcats the day before spring classes began.
"She didn't deserve any of that," Northwest student Emily Madden said. "You could tell it impacted the whole community."
Shaken but not broken.
"We're going to remember Morgan but we're going to move on and celebrate her life," Sam Farmer said.
The Palms will open again on Friday, not with the grief of death, but the celebration of her life.
"The story of how they all came back from it how they all recovered together, this girl's memory is alive because of it," Schreiber said.
Local bands and organizations all pitched in to launch the Never Forget fest.
"When me and Eric sat down after the fact we thought about how we were going to reopen and this was kind of the consensus, a big event with a lot of good energy," Farmer said.
This will also launch the blue cup initiative, a campaign created to fight drunk driving by picking a designated driver when choosing to go out.
"It's just something small we could do for Morgan," Madden said. "She was an amazing person she was so much fun to be around."
Through the Never Forget fest and blue cup initiative, Morgan will continue to live on.
The university plans to hold a bell ringing ceremony honoring Morgan next Wednesday.
- Maryville Bar to Reopen After Student was Killed by Drunk Driver
- Driver Charged in Deadly Maryville Bar Crash
- Drunk Driver Crashes into St. Joseph Bar
- Student Killed After Car Crashes into Maryville Bar
- Lightning strike kills Maryville man
- Maryville Plans Independence Day Celebration
- Mid-Buchanan, Maryville Nab Wins Wednesday Night
- Lafayette Tops Maryville in Conference Play
- Maryville Approves Economic Development Funds for Kawasaki
- Animal Shelter Gets Help from Maryville