(ATCHISON, Ks.) For 145 years the Atchison, Kansas, community has been going to the local YMCA to socialize and stay in shape. Now the community will be breaking a sweat in a new 30,000 square foot facility at 321 Commercial St.
Thanks to funds from the city of Atchison and donations from sponsors throughout the community, the $11.3million facility will be open to the public beginning Wednesday, December 6.
Executive Director for the Atchison Family YMCA Lorin Affield said YMCA expansion was crucial to continue providing quality services to the community.
‘This is just a tool for us to help deliver the mission to our community at a much deeper level than we’ve been able to do. Also to transition that to be able to impact more lives as we move into this next chapter of servicing the community,” Affield said.
The YMCA said the new building will allow them to expand the number of exercise programs they offer along with a few personal enrichment classes. The new facility is equipped with a teaching kitchen, the YMCA says the kitchen will be used for nutritional classes for all age groups.
“At the Y, we are for all. We want to engage everyone in the programs and services we offer. And by doing that, we create the impact we want to see in a positive way to influence the community,” Affield said.
The Atchison Hospital has also donated a wellness pool for the YMCA. The smaller pool, adjacent to the existing swimming pool will be used for aquatic physical therapy for community members recovering from surgery.
The new facility will include an expanded health and wellness center; a community room and a kids zone for provide a safe place for childcare while parents use the facility.
- New YMCA Opens in Atchison,KS
- New Lt. Governor Makes Stop In Atchison
- BB Gun Found in Atchison Student's Bag
- Explosion damages buildings in downtown Atchison
- Police seek van seen before Atchison bombing
- Atchison's Commercial Street Mall Featured in 'Main Streets Across America'
- Atchison Holds Memorial Service for Pearl Harbor Day
- Atchison Remembers One of Their Fallen Officers After Clinton Shooting
- 2 Dead in Hwy. 59 Crash Near Atchison
- Atchison police release surveillance images of robbery suspect