(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Rosecrans Memorial airport has some big plans in store for the 2018 Sound of Speed Airshow.
For the last three decades, Rosecrans has hosted airshows and while the airport looks to be running at normal speed today, in August, the airport will be preparing for one of their biggest events.
Airshow organizers aren't holding anything back for this year's show with the main event being the U.S. Navy Blue Angels jet team.
"We want to put on the best show that we possibly can for our community," Owen Compton, Executive Director for the 2018 Airshow said. "They're a really great performance. People get a lot of enjoyment out of it and it should be a really good time for everybody."
The Blue Angels performed at the airshow back in 2010 and it wasn't that easy getting them to come back around.
"Usually a request is put in about two years out, and it's very excited when we get them. It's a 15 percent repeats for them, so to have them in 2018 is a huge deal," Scott Holthaus said.
But some organizers are hoping people take away even more from the show Blue Angels liaison Scott Holthaus says the first time he saw the Blue Angels jet team perform was what made him want to become a pilot.
"When I was in St. Louis and I saw the blue angels, ever since then it inspired me to get into aviation. So, I'm hoping with the large turnout and the large crowd that with all the kids here that we can inspire them to do the same," Holthaus said.
The airshow is set to take place August 25 and 26, so be sure to mark your calendars!
The show will also feature several heritage flights from aircrafts that have flown for over several decades. Tickets can be found at stjairshow.com.
- Preparations are Underway for the 2018 Sound of Speed Airshow
- Airshow in Cameron
- Airshow act gives preview of what's to come
- Investigation Underway After House Fire
- Preparing pets for fireworks
- Suspect Charged After High Speed Pursuit
- MODOT Prepares for First Snowfall
- High Speed Pursuit Through Clinton County Ends in Kansas City
- MoDOT Studying Speed Limit Change to Stretch of Belt Highway
- Sugarplum Festival Underway to Kick Off Holiday Season