(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The state of Missouri wants to reunite a long lost Purple Heart with the family of a man who once lived in St. Joseph.
Four Purple Hearts are currently in possession of the Missouri State Treasurer's Unclaimed Property Division.
One of the military medals belonged to Charles W. Armstrong.
Armstrong's Purple Heart was mailed anonymously to the treasurer's office with a note with Armstong's name and that he lived in St. Joseph.
"The Purple Heart is one of the most important and prestigious honors a member of our armed forces can earn," Schmitt said. "There is a good chance that someone in Missouri has information about these medals that could help us identify and find their rightful owners, which is why we're asking everyone to take a look."
The following information is available on the four Purple Heart Medals currently being held by the State Treasurer's Office:
Purple Heart Medal #1
Safe Deposit Box Owner Name: Charles W. Armstrong
Last Known Address: St. Joseph, Missouri
Medal Inscription: "Charles W. Armstrong"
Purple Heart Medal #2
Safe Deposit Box Owner Name: Margaret E. Varney
Last Known Address: PO BOX 681575, Riverside, Missouri
Purple Heart Medal #3
Medal Inscription: "Lawrence Shettler"
Purple Heart Medal #4
Safe Deposit Box Owner Name: Helen Reabold
- Unclaimed Purple Heart belongs to man with last known address in St. Joseph
- Gower Becomes Purple Heart City
- Longtime St. Joseph Dentist Suffers Fatal Heart Attack
- St. Joseph Christmas Decorations
- St. Joseph Mayoral Debate
- Descendant of Joseph Robidoux Visits St. Joseph
- Magicians Converge on St. Joseph
- Fall Colors of St. Joseph
- Flu Virus 'Infects' St. Joseph
- St. Joseph Primary Election Results