(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The St. Joseph Police Department (SJPD) is investigating an officer-involved shooting that happened at 10:30 a.m. at a home in St. Joseph Saturday morning.
According to police, officers were searching a home on the 1000 block of S. 12th Street for a person with an active arrest warrant.
"It is our information at this time, it is just preliminary, that the subject pulled a firearm, pointed it at the officers," SJPD Commander Eric Protzman said. "Officers then fired at the subject, struck the subject several times."
The subject is being described as a 42-year old white male. Police say he died from his injuries at the hospital.
No officers were injured.
Police said there were at least two people inside the home at the time of the shooting. Police spokesperson Captain Jeff Wilson said he is not sure if the person shot was the person they were looking for.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP), St. Joseph Fire Department and the Buchanan County Sheriff's Department were also at the scene.
"Any time there is an officer involved shooting, we bring the highway patrol in to assist and run the investigation with us," Wilson said.
One officer involved in the shooting was a veteran officer, while another was newer to the department.
Both officers will be questioned by the police department and Wilson said it is standard practice to place officers on leave while the incident is being investigated.
MSHP will now take over the investigation.
- UPDATE: Man dies after officer-involved shooting
- Man Threatening Suicide Dies After Officer-Involved Shooting
- Update: One injured in officer-involved shooting in Atchison.
- No Charges in Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting
- Suspect charged in officer-involved shooting incident
- Officers identified in officer-involved shooting in St. Joseph
- Two People Charged After Officer-Involved Shooting Monday
- Investigation of an officer-involved shooting underway Thursday
- Man identified in Saturday's fatal police-involved shooting
- Weekend Midtown Shooting Update