ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
The St. Joseph Animal Shelter is hoping to move forward with plans for a new facility.
They hope to relocate to a new building in Mitchell Woods Corporate Park off of Riverside Road, but still need more funding to make the move a reality.
The new shelter was one of several topics at a city council work session on Thursday. They are seeking a $1 million dollars in CIP funds for the renovation project that will cost a total of $2.5 million.
Staff say that is half the cost of building an entirely new facility from scratch.
Additionally, shelter staff say it's time for a new place to call home.
"We are now at the point where we're leasing a building in Mitchell Woods and hopefully we will have the funds raised to buy the building in January," Kathy Ermler, Friends of The Animal Shelter said.
The Mitchell Woods building is 18,000 square feet which is more than double the space of the current shelter at 701 SW Lower Lake Rd, St Joseph, MO 64504.
- Updates Announced to Proposed New Animal Shelter
- New St. Joseph Animal Shelter Proposal Explained
- Animal Shelter Gets Help from Maryville
- Animal shelter working to create Kitten Korner
- St. Joseph Animal Shelter opens mobile station
- City Leaders Take a Look at New Animal Shelter
- City Council Members Tour New Animal Shelter Facility
- City Council Approves Plan for New Animal Shelter
- Animal Shelter Taking Precautions to Avoid the Spread of Disease
- "Howliday" shopping raises money for new animal shelter