ST. JOSEPH, Mo.
The 2017 corn harvest season in northwest Missouri is predicted to be the highest ever, which makes St. Joseph farmer John Hickman a happy man.
"It's good. Especially when you have 220-230 bushels a yield average, it's good and I love it," Hickman said.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, farmers will produce 14.28 billion bushels of corn this year and out of all of the top 18 states that harvest corn in the U.S., harvest is only 50% complete in five states including Missouri.
"I have talked to several people who said maybe this is the best crop they've ever had," Rodney Saunders, USDA District Conservationist said. "However, then there's some people where it just depends on where they were with the rains and how they fell then there were parts of the county that were pretty dry throughout the year."
Additionally, another crop to watch this season according to Hickman & Saunders is soybeans.
"I haven't gotten into soybeans yet but they say they're just as good as corn and I hope so. I'll be finished with corn later this week and then we'll see with the soybeans," Hickman said.
"Harvest is in full swing at this point and people have been just working around the weather patterns. We've had some great weather here and lots of cover crops going in after harvest and it's a great thing to see, great for soil health, reducing soil erosion and people are just making progress with that," Saunders said.
Harvest season typically runs from October to the end of November.
- Record Corn Harvest Expected in Northwest Missouri
- Northwest Runs Past Missouri Western
- Severe Weather Hits Northwest Missouri
- DOC asks Missouri hunters to Share the Harvest
- KQ2 Forecast: Parts of northwest Missouri under T-Storm watch
- Northwest Missouri driving fatalities up 15 percent in 2018
- Wintry mix leads to hazardous roads across northwest Missouri
- Record Number of Holiday Travelers Expected
- Northwest sets record retention rate, enrollment up 5 percent
- More Delays Expected for Missouri Tax Refunds This Year