St. Joseph Animal Control will offer an opportunity to add a new pet to your family for free.
Dogs and cats at the shelter who have reached the age of 7 or older are available to adopt at no charge through Oct. 15.
Additionally, animals who aren't yet 7-years-old will be available for a reduced rate of $20.17.
The St. Joseph Animal Shelter continues to be over-populated with dogs and cats. Staff said pet adoption is almost always more affordable than purchasing a puppy or kitten from a breeder or litter. Adoption fees include city tags, spay/neuter procedures, microchipping, vaccines and a veterinary exam.
Some animals available for adoption can be found at Petsmart or Petco, however a majority of dogs and cats are at the shelter located at 701 Lower Lake Road.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday: 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
You can view photos of available pets on the Friends of the Animal Shelter Facebook page.
To adopt a shelter pet, an application must be completed. You can find the application by clicking here.
- Animal Control Offers Free Adoption for Senior Pets
- Store Offers Free Health Screenings
- Adopt-A-Family Seeks Last Minute Adopters
- Area dentists offer free dental care
- St. Joseph Parks and Recreation Offering Free Lifeguard Training
- Salvation Army offers free hot meals amid dangerous cold
- Preparing pets for fireworks
- Adopt-A-Family Helps Hundreds this Christmas
- Adopt-A-Family program ends enrollment period
- Nearly all families adopted, 12 remain