(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The last day of school before summer break was bittersweet for students at Lake Contrary and Humboldt elementary schools; both schools will be closing and consolidating with other elementary schools in the district.
"It's pretty difficult knowing that you're going to leave these kids and next August you won't be walking in the building," Humboldt Elementary teacher Shelley Atkins said.
Last December, the St. Joseph School Board of Education voted to close both schools to save the district an estimated $2.7 million.
Students and staff at Humboldt Elementary note the building is one of the oldest school buildings in the area.
"I'm trying not to think of it and process it, because I'm trying to be strong for these kids." Atkins said. "It had such character."
Atkins says several teachers will remain working in the district.
- Final Farewell: 2 Schools Close their Doors for Good on the Last Day of Class
- Edmisson Finalizes 2018-19 Recruiting Class
- CLOSINGS: St. Joseph School District Cancels Classes for Wednesday
- Final Day of Crypticon
- Proposal Stops Door-to-Door Sales at Night
- COJOE Officially Opens its Doors
- High School District Basektball Finals
- Water Line Break Closes School
- Final Days for Shop St. Joseph
- Final Day Of Chiefs Organized Team Activities