(KANSAS CITY, Mo.)
The last preseason game for the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday night was also the first night of a new tailgating policy that some say may threaten a tradition of Arrowhead Stadium providing one of the best game-day experiences in the NFL.
"Tailgating brings comeraderie to the city and it's a celebration of people coming together who otherwise wouldn't," said Chiefs fan Brent Donelan, who despite that, is in support of the new policy which ends tailgating in the parking lot after a game has begun.
"The reason you're coming out here to see the games is to see the game. If you want to just have a party, stay home," Donelan said.
Others were a little more concerned.
"My younger self would have had a problem with it," said Koreen Hoffelmuir, who was enjoying herself in the parking lot before the game. "We did used to come out here and just party in the parking lot. I can see how it's going to affect people."
The Chiefs say it's a safety issue and that they are just falling in line with policy set from the NFL. Some say cutting tailgating off at kickoff shouldn't cut down on the fun, and it might even help get people home sooner after the game.
"I think it'll cut down on traffic a little bit outside of the game and maybe a little better for the trash outside of the game," said Cy Dormire, who was also with a group tailgating before the game."
Dormire could also understand the disappointment of those who come to Arrowhead not to go to the game, but just enjoy the atmosphere around the stadium.
"A few people come with friends and just hang out during the game here. Now they don't get to, Dormire said. "A few bad apples ruined it and that's what happened."
The Chiefs defeated the Packers 33-21.
- Mixed reaction to new Arrowhead tailgating policy
- Free ride for Chiefs fans heading to Arrowhead Saturday
- Rain & Snow Mix As We "Spring Forward"
- Church fiesta mixes fun and fundraising
- Reactions to State of the Union Address
- Rain/Snow Mix on Sunday Then Spring Returns
- KQ2 Forecast: Sunshine for Sunday, wintry mix possible Monday
- KQ2 Forecast: Sunshine today, wintry mix possible tomorrow
- KQ2 Forecast: Temperatures cooling down, wintry mix possible late week
- KQ2 Forecast: A wintry mix possible on Wednesday night