(SPRINGFIELD, Mo.) Police say five people including a police officer and a gunman were shot and killed at a Missouri gas station in Springfield Sunday.
Among the five dead includes 3 people at the gas station, a Springfield police officer, and the gunman, Police Chief Paul Williams announced Monday.
Williams said police were called to a Kum & Go gas station late Sunday for reports of a shooting. As officers arrived, witnesses reported a car crashed into the gas station, and then the gunman ran inside and began shooting customers and employees, officials said.
The first two responding officers were shot, police found three people dead inside the store, and the gunman was found dead from what is believed to be a self-inflicted gunshot, Williams said.
Officer Christopher Walsh, a Springfield police officer for more than three years and an Army veteran, died at a hospital. The other officer’s injuries were not life-threatening.
The identities of the three other victims or the shooter have not been released.
Police are investigating the motive behind the shooting.
- 5 dead in Springfield shooting, including officer and gunman
- Kansas City shooting leaves 2 dead, including gunman, and 15 others injured
- Mass shooting at Thousand Oaks, California, bar leaves 12 dead including officer
- Slain Missouri officer hailed as a hero for rushing to stop gunman in Springfield
- Police kill gunman in workplace shooting that left five others dead
- UPDATE: Missouri duck boat accident leaves 17 dead, including children
- The gunman came out of nowhere and just started shooting
- Strasbourg Christmas market shooting: Gunman at large after three killed
- Exclusive video shows Dayton gunman Connor Betts in bar in the hours before shooting
- One Dead, Another Injured After Double Shooting