Ionia (WXMI) -- An 11 year-old girl in Ionia is spreading Christmas cheer and collecting gifts to give to children with long-term hospital stays.
Over the past week, hundreds of boxes have been stacking up in 11 year-old Mchalie Walter’s garage.
“The first time we got a ton of packages it made me really happy,” Mchalie said.
Mchalie is overjoyed and she won’t even be the one opening the presents.
Mchalie is collecting them for kids at Mott Children’s Hospital in Ann Arbor.
She came up with the idea and had her mom reach out for donations on Facebook.
“I was really surprised because she said this had been on her mind for some time but she doesn’t talk a lot about her time in the hospital, i was really proud of her,” Mchalie’s Mother Royale Walter said.
The gifts are going to kids in the same hospital where Mchalie got treatment for cancer.
“I remember being in the hospital on holidays and it was hard being away from my family so I just thought give a little joy to the kids that are in the hospital while they are there,” Mchalie explained.
She’s planning on handing them out at her next appointment later this month.
“I just really hope they are happy and O really hope they remember this because when we were in the hotels and hospitals, I remember getting a gift and having fun playing with it and that’s what I want the kids to remember,” Mchalie added.
The family has collected more than 220 toys and presents as of Friday.
They will keep collecting until December 15th, if you’d like to help, click here for the Amazon Wish List where you can purchase an item and it will ship to the family for delivery.
Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.
- 11 year-old cancer survivor collecting Christmas gifts for kids in hospital
- Operation Christmas Child Collection Begins
- Students deliver gifts for Operation Christmas Child
- Salvation Army Toy Town Provides Families Gifts for Christmas
- Time’s running out to mail your Christmas gifts
- Hundreds of dollars worth of Christmas gifts stolen from home
- Shoppers return to stores for post-Christmas deals, gift returns
- City Collects Hazardous Waste
- With surprise gift, child advocacy center plans to help kids
- A thief stole gifts meant for thousands of kids. Then this couple raised $45,000 to save Christmas