(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) A fire displaces a southside family Monday afternoon.
Authorities were called to a fire at home on Fulkerson Street near King Hill Avenue at 4:30 p.m.
It took a couple of hours to put out.
Fire inspectors said it started in the living room, but went through the ceiling and into the attic.
"The fire was pretty aggressive, started on the main floor, burned up through a ceiling and into the attic space," said St. Joseph Fire Department Inspector Mindy Andrasevitz. "When it gets up there it really has time to get hot and burn, and it took quite a while to get that under control."
Andrasevitz said one person was home at the time and made it out safely. She said three people live at the home and will be staying with family.
Firefighters rescued two dogs from the home. One dog had to be resuscitated.
Two cats were missing after the fire.
The home is a total loss, according to fire officials.
- Aggressive fire destroys south St. Joseph home
- Fire destroys south St. Joseph trailer home
- Fire destroys home in south St. Joseph
- Fire destroys St. Joseph home Saturday evening
- Fire destroys house in midtown St. Joseph
- Fire destroys home, damages another in St. Joseph Saturday
- Vacant home catches fire in south St. Joseph Monday morning
- Fire Destroys Trailer Home
- Photo Gallery: Overnight Fire Destroys Home on the North Side of St. Joseph
- Fire destroys southside home garage