(ATCHISON, Ks.) The two worst words you can hear as a police officer "officer down." It was December 9, 2011 that Chief of Police, Mike Wilson, started the day like any other.
"It was on a Friday afternoon on a winter day, it was cold out," Wilson said. "It was a scene that I'll never forget."
Then he heard those two words, "officer down" and the world flipped on its head.
He arrived on the scene as one of his own, Sergeant David Enzbrenner was dying.
Enzbrenner was responding to a routine nuisance call, a little over a block from his own home. It was there that he was shot and killed.
In the days that followed, Wilson woke up hoping it was a dream, but it wasn't and that nightmare plays over and over again.
"Each time I hear about one of those cases, it comes back like it was yesterday," Wilson said. "The calls continue on; the police responses are still there that you have to take care of."
Wednesday was no different. When Wilson heard about the officer who was shot in Clinton, Missouri, his heart sunk and he knows how those officers feel.
Wilson says in the days that followed, law enforcement agencies from all over the Midwest came to help Atchison police. He thinks the Clinton Police Department will see that too, that and more.
"So many times, in our line of work, it feels like an 'us against them' type thing but it's not," Wilson said. "The community was behind us and they will get behind Clinton and that's what will carry them through."
The gunman, 25-year-old Skylar Barbee, took his own life shortly after he shot Sergeant Enzbrenner.
- Atchison Remembers One of Their Fallen Officers After Clinton Shooting
- Update: One injured in officer-involved shooting in Atchison.
- Funeral and Visitation Scheduled for Fallen Clinton Officer
- Atchison police identify suspected shooter
- New Details in Clinton Officer Shooting
- New YMCA Opens in Atchison,KS
- New Lt. Governor Makes Stop In Atchison
- BB Gun Found in Atchison Student's Bag
- Explosion damages buildings in downtown Atchison
- Police seek van seen before Atchison bombing