(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) With an election just around the corner, St. Joseph School District Board of Education candidates geared up their campaigns by participating in a local forum.
On April 3rd, St. Joseph citizens will be asked to vote for three out of seven candidates to take an open seat on the Board of Education.
"Schools need good administrators to lead," Joyce Edwards, community service representative for St. Joseph Retired School Personnel group, said. "People who are informed are more likely to vote in a positive way."
The forum was hosted by the St. Joe Retired School Personnel Association, whose members are past employees of the district.
During the forum on Monday, people could connect with six of the seven candidates.
"I think the more forums that we have like this, the more we have a chance to get acquainted with them, to hear what their ideas are and to forms our opinions, so we can go and vote," Maggie Elder, president of SJRSP, said.
Edwards is the former principal of Benton High School and said there's many changes within the district that have taken place over the past few years. However, one stands out over the others.
"The biggest change is the lack of trust by the community, and I know that that trust can be reignited," Edwards said.
The organization said they hope to help reignite that trust by making sure voters are well informed before hitting the polls.
"If you're not willing to stand up and ask the questions and be available and do your homework, you don't have a right to ask the questions. That's way I feel about it," Edler said.
After the forum, members said they feel they can now make a good decision on who they vote for to help lead the school district into the future.
"I feel confident and I feel much more informed. This was a very good informative time to listen to the candidates," Edwards said.
The election is set to be held on April 3rd.
- Board of Education Candidates Attend Public Forum
- First Board of Education Candidate Forum Held
- Candidates for Board of Education Meet with Public During Forum
- City Council Candidates Attend Final Public Forum
- School Board Candidates Take Part in Public Forum
- Forum Scheduled for School Board Candidates
- City Candidates Gathered for Public Forum
- School board candidates field questions at PTA forum
- City Council and Mayoral Candidates Take Part in Public Forum
- Wright Named SJSD Board of Education President