(ATCHISON, Kan.) The body of an adult white male has been recovered from the Missouri River at Atchison, Kansas, according to MSC News.
Atchison Police Chief Mike Wilson said a person jogging near the river notified authorities late Sunday morning that a body was floating in the water.
Authorities responded to the area and the Atchison Fire Department used a rescue boat to retrieve the body from the river at the south end of the city.
"We were able to get a boat into the water and the body was actually retrieved about a mile to two miles south of the Amelia Earhart Bridge." Wilson said. "We're anxious to determine who this is and the manner of death."
Police suspect the body floated to Atchison from a northern location and it is not immediately believed that the body is from the local area.
The body has been transported to a pathologist for examination.
Police continue to investigate the incident. No other information has been released at this time.
Stay with KQ2 for more updates to this story.
For the full story from MSC News, click here.
- Body discovered in Missouri River near Atchison, Kansas
- Atchison County, Missouri recommending evacuations near Missouri River
- Atchison, Kansas man sentenced for trafficking meth
- Flooding closes Hwy. 59 near Atchison, Kansas
- 1 injured in shooting in Atchison, Kansas
- Highway 59 reopens into Atchison, Kansas
- Storms leave widespread damage in Atchison, Kansas
- Atchison, Kan. residents react as Missouri River rises
- Atchison Police identify person recovered from Missouri River
- Atchison authorities search for truck in river