The Missouri Public Service Commission's cold weather rule will take effect Wednesday, Nov. 1.
The rule is designed to help customers with heat-related utility bills. It applies to natural gas and electric utilities under PSC jurisdiction.
The cold weather rule:
- Prohibits the disconnection of heat-related service when the temperature is predicted to drop below 32 degrees during the following 24 hour period.
- Provides more lenient payment terms permitting reconnection of service for natural gas and/or electric customers
- Allows customers to budget payments over 12 months
- Requires customers be notified by mail 10 days before the date the utility intends to shut off service; an attempt be made to contact the customer within 96 hours before the shut off; an attempt be made to contact the customer right before shut off; and that notice is left at the home when service has been shut off
- Requires the customer be notified of possible financial help in paying the utility bill
- Allows for the reconnection of service for less than the full amount owed
- They are 65-years-old or older
- Disabled to the extent that they have filed with the utility a form submitted by a medical physician attesting that their household must have natural gas or electric utility service provided in the home to maintain life or health; or
- They have obtained a formal award letter issued from the federal government of disability benefits
- A customer registered with the utility company as elderly or disabled will receive additional notifications prior to a proposed discontinuance of service during the cold weather rule period. They may also be eligible for additional minimum payment arrangements.
The cold weather rule stays in effect through March 31, 2018.
- Cold Weather Rule Takes Effect Nov. 1
- Area pumpkins effected by weather
- KQ2 Forecast: Winter Weather Advisories in effect
- Cold Weather Safety for Kids
- Minimum wage hike takes effect with the new year
- Tornado Watch in Effect
- Winter Weather Advisory In Effect Due to Tuesday's Snow
- KQ2 Forecast: Winter Weather Advisory in effect for Wednesday night
- KQ2 Forecast: Winter Weather Advisory is in effect
- KQ2 Forecast: Winter Weather Advisory in effect for Tuesday & Wednesday