(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The fate of a longtime family business appears uncertain.
Cool Crest Golf Course has not yet opened its doors for the summer season and that's making some people question if the more than 70-year-old miniature golf course will open at all.
The golf course first opened in 1947 and has been a family favorite ever since.
"It's an icon for the community," said St. Joseph Chamber of Commerce Vice President of Economic Development Brad Lau. "People remember it when it was a highway and then basically country. There were generations that had played it before and multi-generational families that played it together."
Employees say the original owners of the golf course passed away earlier this year.
KQ2 reached out to relatives of the family but they declined to comment on when or if the golf course will be open this summer.
The course was criticized on social media last year for not letting young children play on the course and being too strict with other rules.
- Cool Crest Summer Opening Uncertain
- Cool Crest family speaks on sale of business
- Summer cool down is here
- Lower crest expected, major flooding still forecast in St. Joseph
- Rulo, Nebraska sets record crest on Missouri River
- Missouri River reaches major flood stage, crest forecast rises
- Missouri River to crest near all-time record level Friday
- Missouri River continues to fall after record crest
- Missouri River expected to crest in St. Joseph Sunday evening
- Missouri River forecasted to crest at 29 feet by Thursday