(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) An accident involving a cattle trailer snarled traffic at the intersection of S Belt Hwy and Pear St. this afternoon.
St. Joseph Police said a truck carrying the trailer attempted to make a left turn onto Pear St. in front of a semi when the accident happened.
Of the eight cattle that were in the trailer, five suffered severe injuries, one was not hurt and two cattle escaped and were on the loose in the area.
SJPD said a veterinarian on scene deemed the injured cattle's condition too severe to save them, five cattle were put down.
Traffic was down to one lane on the Belt Hwy while emergency crews worked the scene, access to and from Pear St. was limited.
- Crash on S. Belt Hwy. sends cattle on the loose
- Car slams into building along Belt Hwy.
- 2 Seriously Hurt in S. Belt Hwy Head-On Crash
- 2 suffer minor injuries after Belt Hwy. crash
- Crash on N. Belt Highway Sends 3 People to Hospital
- One person sent to the hospital after crashing into pole on N. Belt Hwy.
- Accident on Belt Highway sends motorcyclist to hospital
- UPDATE: 1 killed in Belt Highway crash
- Driver injured after Belt Highway crash
- Bunny Bowl at Belt Entertaiment