(Atchison,KS) The driver of the vehicle that sank in the Missouri River in Atchison,Kansas Sunday night has been located safe.
Atchison Police said the driver, identified as a 48-year old man, was found safe early Monday morning.
The man said he was experiencing mental health issues when he drove the truck into the river. After the truck left the loading dock the man said he quickly got out of the truck, swam to the riverbank and left the area.
Police said the vehicle went into the river around 8:30 Sunday night, when a witness spotted the truck being driven off the loading dock.
Local rescue teams searched the river with assistance from the Atchison County Rescue Unit and the Atchison Fire Department. First responders used rescue boats to locate the vehicle underwater and leave a marker to be removed later. The search was called off Sunday night around 11:15pm.
Officers said teams will start working to retrieve the truck from the river Monday morning.
- Driver of truck submerged in Missouri River found safe
- Man charged with driving truck into Missouri River
- Missing Teen Found Safe
- Body found in Missouri River, believed to be missing boater
- Update: Missing girl found safe
- Atchison County, Missouri recommending evacuations near Missouri River
- Governor visits northwest Missouri ahead of Missouri River flooding
- Atchison authorities search for truck in river
- UPDATE: Missing Kansas teen found safe
- Sheriff: Missing 12-year-old boy found safe