BREAKING NEWS Derek Chauvin found guilty on all charges Full Story
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Drought conditions improve despite rainfall deficits

Drought conditions continue across northwest Missouri and northeast Kansas with slight improvements this week.

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 12:46 PM

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) - Drought conditions continue across northwest Missouri and northeast Kansas with slight improvements this week.

In the latest Drought Monitor, 63.35% of the state of Missouri is under some sort of drought designation, down from 68.93% last week. There was no change in D4 (Exceptional Drought) status which stays at 0.08%.

In Kansas, 78.54% of the state is not experiencing a drought, leaving 21.46% in at least D0 (Abnormally Dry) conditions. This is an increase from 20.91% last week. The drought is the worst in northeast Kansas.

Rainfall data for St. Joseph continues to show monthly and yearly deficits. According to the National Weather Service, St. Joseph has received 0.36 inches of rain in September. That is 2.72 inches below average for the month.

For the year, St. Joseph has observed 13.13 inches, which is 16.25 inches below normal. 

The driest year on record in St. Joseph finished at 20.53 inches in 1901.

The U.S. Drought Monitor is produced at the National Drought Mitigation Center at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 

St. Joseph
Partly Cloudy
35° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 27°
Clarinda
Partly Cloudy
34° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 24°
St. Joseph
Partly Cloudy
35° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 27°
Chillicothe/Agri
Cloudy
31° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 31°
Falls City
Mostly Cloudy
34° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 26°
Temperatures have dropped down below freezing for many this morning with mostly clear skies creating a few areas of frost. Today temperatures will struggle to warm up again into the upper 40s and lower 50s with a mix of sun and clouds. Tonight temperatures will drop into the upper 20s and lower 30s again providing another frosty morning on Thursday. Southerly winds will return on Thursday helping to slowly warm temperatures back up into the upper 50s. Most of the day Thursday will be dry but rain chances will start to increase after about 6 PM. Rain chances will continue for the first half of the day Friday before moving out of our area. The weekend looks comfortable and spring like with temperatures in the 60s and 70s under mostly sunny skies. The warm up continues into next week with highs in the 70s and 80s on Monday.
KQTV Radar
KQTV Temperatures
KQTV Alerts

Community Events