(St. Joseph,MO) Missouri Western State University will soon break ground on a new memorial honoring emergency medical service providers.
In a meeting on April 26, Western’s Board of Governors approved a 99 year lease agreement with the Missouri EMS Memorial Foundation to build a memorial to fallen EMS.
The university donated a portion of land on the south side of campus near the Mitchell Avenue entrance. The $250,000 memorial will be built in the form of a pavilion approximately 50 feet by 50 feet with flagpoles, benches and multiple stone markers featuring the names of those who have given their lives.
The Memorial Wall of Honor will feature the names of 27 Missouri EMS who have died in the line of duty. The center memorial will be surrounded by Service Walls, listing the names of first responders who have dedicated their lives to EMS service.
Vice Chair of the Missouri EMS Memorial Foundation Evan Clark said the project will make Missouri one of only a few states to have memorials dedicated to police,fire and EMS professionals.
“In public service we have our thin line families, we are definitely a brotherhood, a sisterhood. We truly do consider each other family. So this memorial is not only going to be a place to come for agencies, for families to remember their fallen, but it’s a dedication to service,” Clark said.
According to Clark the Missouri EMS Memorial Foundation recently kicked-off their capital campaign to fund the new memorial and will be accepting community donations. For more information about the memorial or to make a donation, visit the foundation’s website at moemsmemorialfoundation.org/.
- Western Honors First Responders With EMS Memorial
- EMS week honors first responders
- Memorial Garden Honors Memory of Local Veterans
- South Side EMS Station Opens
- Buchanan County EMS purchases automated CPR machines
- Gower Unveils New Memorial Honoring the Fallen
- New memorial to honor fallen troopers
- Buchanan County EMS to provide more safety for EMTs
- Buchanan County EMS helping to spread the warmth
- Northwest Runs Past Missouri Western