(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Multiple fire crews responded to a structure fire near the intersection of S. 18th Street and Mitchell Avenue just before noon Monday.
Fire officials said the home was a small duplex, with renters on one side of the building. They said the other side was currently being renovated. We're told a painter was working on the renovated space when he saw smoke and called 911.
Firefighters found the fire in the wall of the kitchen and in the attic space. The fire was able to be contained to just the one side and did not affect the occupied space.
Officials said the cause is electrical issues, most likely due to old and/or poorly done electrical work.
Gas and electric were turned off to both sides of the duplex, and the Red Cross is assisting those impacted.