(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The first weekend of Chiefs Training Camp at Missouri Western State University wrapped up Sunday morning and it saw record-breaking crowds on campus.
Missouri Western Athletics announced that more than 15,000 fans went through the gates through the first two open practices of camp.
The opening day crowd of more than 8,000 fans broke the attendance record for a practice happening on the Mosaic Life Care Training Fields. Saturday's crowd was the second largest ever recorded in the 10-year history of training camp at Missouri Western.
Day two saw more than 7,000 fans at training camp, now the second largest crowd ever at the Mosaic Life Care Training Fields.
"Our goal is to make each year the best year of Training Camp, for both the team and the fans," Missouri Western vice president of intercollegiate athletics Josh Looney said. "With the record crowds, positive energy and behind-the-scenes operations all meshing together, we can confidently say that this was the best opening weekend in the 10-year history of Chiefs Training Camp at Missouri Western. We look forward to welcoming more of Chiefs Kingdom to campus and carrying this opening weekend momentum through the remaining 13 practice dates."
Looney says that putting on training camp is a community-wide effort.
"Effectively managing Chiefs Training Camp is a true community effort," he said. "We are especially thankful to Missouri Western staff, Griffon student-athletes, and police officers from MWSU, St. Joseph, the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Buchanan County and Andrew County, for their efforts in ensuring this weekend was a success."
For a look at the remaining schedule for training camp, click here.
- First weekend of Chiefs Training Camp brings record-breaking crowds
- Super Science Saturday brings in record breaking crowd
- Junior Chiefs Training Camp
- Chiefs Training Camp Dates Announced
- Chiefs, Missouri Western extend Training Camp agreement
- Chiefs announce 2019 training camp schedule
- Rookies speak after Chiefs training camp practice
- Record-setting training camp will be tough to top in 2020 for any Chiefs' suitors
- Chiefs and Missouri Western Reach Agreement to Extend Training Camp
- Chiefs eager to start 2018 Training Camp in St. Joseph