(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.) Missouri Republican Sen. Rob Schaaf has asked President Donald Trump to call on Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens to resign.
The longtime Greitens critic wrote in a letter dated Thursday that he doesn't think Greitens will resign, no matter who asks him to step down.
"I think his [Greitens] credibility is gone. I think his ability to lead has just evaporated," Schaaf said. "Everyday that goes by is more cost to the state."
Several prominent Republican and Democratic elected officials in Missouri have called on Greitens to step down over allegations that he slapped, grabbed and shoved a woman with whom he had an extramarital affair in 2015, before his election. Greitens has said he'll continue to serve and that allegations of violence or sexual assault are false.
"I don't think that he will resign except for something extraordinary like the Commander in Chief, the President of the United States urging him to resign. I think that might do it," Schaaf said.
Schaaf says the governor's resignition would save lawmakers the extra cost of a special legislative session to consider whether to impeach him.
"Governor Greitens is a military man. He's characterized himself as a navy seal over and over again," Schaaf said. "Even his behavior in the matter at-hand indicates a very dominant person - somebody who's, you know, very military minded."
The letter was also signed by Republican Sens. Doug Libla and Gary Romine. Both had previously called on the governor to consider resigning after Greitens was indicted in February on a felony invasion-of-privacy charge.
- Governor Greitens Announces Resignation
- State Senator to Trump: Ask Greitens to Resign
- Schaaf Blasts Greitens from Senate Floor
- Sen. Rob Schaaf Requests Resignation of Gov. Eric Greitens
- Missouri Democrats Tackle Dark Money, Greitens' Resignation and Mental Health
- Greitens Indicted by Grand Jury
- Ashcroft Responds to Greitens Indictment
- Greitens Tours the State to Promote Tax Cut Plan
- Greitens Declares State of Emergency for Portions of Missouri
- Attorney Launches Investigation into Allegations Against Greitens