Missouri Governor Eric Greitens signed an executive order declaring a State of Emergency for the southern portion of the state, activating the resources of the Missouri National Guard.
The Governor said in a press release, the State of Emergency was called in anticipation of a major storm system that could cause potential flooding in parts of the state.
The executive order will make sure all state resources are available for the weather event, and will bring a rapid response to the impacted areas.
"Thank you to our first responders for their dedication and hard work keeping Missouri families safe and protecting property," Greitens said. "Our highly skilled emergency teams are already saving lives and implementing their coordinated response plans to ensure that the right resources are in the areas where they are most needed. Please stay safe and stay away from rising water."
According to the National Weather Service, the southern portion of the state remains under flash flood warnings.
"With several roads in southern Missouri closed due to high water, and water rescues occurring in the southwest portion of the state, the State Emergency Operations Center has been activated to respond to this flooding," Department of Public Safety Director Drew Juden said. "We've been tracking the rain and flooding throughout the week and we are in close coordination with the Governor, state and local agencies and response partners to ensure we are prepared to respond to this flooding."
For more information on what to do in a flash flood, visit this website.
- Greitens Declares State of Emergency for Portions of Missouri
- Missouri Gov. Greitens Charged with Second Felony
- NWS declares flash flood emergency in Northwest Missouri
- Governor Greitens Announces Resignation
- City declares state of emergency due to Missouri River flooding concerns
- Governor declares state of emergency in Missouri in response to flooding
- Greitens Announces New Amazon Fulfillment Center Opening in Missouri
- Fellow Military Vet to Succeed Greitens as Missouri Governor
- Missouri Democrats Tackle Dark Money, Greitens' Resignation and Mental Health
- Greitens Indicted by Grand Jury