(GOWER, Mo.) The Gower City Council voted unanimously at its monthly meeting last month to become a Purple Heart City.
Gower Mayor Chip Holman proclaimed Monday, December 11 2017 as "Purple Heart Recognition Day" in Gower.
"I think it's huge for our community to recognize those who have been honored the Purple Heart," Holman said.
One of those local veterans who served in the Army is Fred Juergensen of Gower, Missouri.
"When Chip called me about this award, I've never been awarded for anything from the military but being awarded for something that you've done for the military it means a great deal. I was shocked and greatly honored," Juergensen said.
The Purple Heart is the nation's oldest military medal and was created by Gen. George Washington in 1782.
Both Holman and Juergensen agree that the veterans of Gower deserve to be recognized and they hope the entire community will appreciate and respect the honor.
"I hope everyone in this town when they see a veteran will thank them for their service through this honor," Juergensen said.
"One day of the year is not enough, Memorial Day is not enough. I hope that it brings our communities to our attention to recognize and honor those veterans," Holman said.
The pride that Holman and Juergensen have for their country and city ranks highest in their hearts.
"Gower is our home. I love this community, the school is amazing, the people are amazing and when you think about a city it's not just the city limits," Holman said. "It's a great place to live."
The City of Gower honored all Purple Heart recipients Monday night at 7 p.m. at Gower City Hall.
- Gower Becomes Purple Heart City
- Gower Unveils New Memorial Honoring the Fallen
- Gower has a new chief in town
- Car show caps off Gower Days
- Gower pays respect to fallen heroes on Memorial Day
- Unclaimed Purple Heart belongs to man with last known address in St. Joseph
- A fish called Wakanda: New purple fish honors 'Black Panther'
- Holiday Heart Syndrome
- Sacred Heart Falls City Sweeps Bishop LeBlond Hoops
- A Burger to Help the Heart