Students in the St. Joseph School District spent the better part of the week leading up to Veterans Day making sure servicemembers know they're appreciated.
At Hyde Elementary school, students hosted a special assembly Friday, where they thanked veterans for attendance.
In addition to thanking the veterans and singing patriotic songs, Hyde students had another surprise up their sleeves.
They presented KC Honor Flight with a check for four veterans to enjoy an Honor Flight. The Honor Flight program was created to give veterans an opportunity to visit the nation's capitol and see the memorials erected in their honor.
Staff members said it's important for students to understand what those in the military sacrifice to fight for our freedom.
"They need to understand the sacrifice, the sacrifices that's being made and have been made for our country to keep our liberties and our freedoms. We need to teach them that, and they need to see it first hand," Hyde librarian Jennifer Halter said.
Veterans at Friday's assembly were invited to introduce themselves to the students and tell them where they served.
- Hyde Students Honor Vets with Assembly, Presents Honor Flight Check
- Veterans Day Events Honor Past, Present and Future Military Personnel
- St. Paul Lutheran students earn prestigious honors
- Cotillion for Achievement honors area students
- Vet 2 Vet Event in St. Joseph
- Landmark Commission Honors Local Preservationists
- Falls City honors fire chief
- SJSD teacher earns national honor
- Mount Mora honors WWI veterans
- Generations Apart: Students and Veterans Honor Those who Served