(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) In this week's Salute the Badge, we recognize a St. Joseph Police Department officer who gives ordinary citizens a look at life behind the badge.
Sgt. Roy Hoskins recently graduated close to 40 people through the Citizen's Police Academy.
"We spent every tuesday, for 8 weeks together. We get to know each other very well," Sgt. Hoskins said. "It's a two-way thing. Not only do we get to enlighten them and put it in a light they've never had before, but also we get feedback from them and its a much more personal level."
From the bomb squad to crime scene investigations, the eight week class gives residents a chance to see what law enforcement does everyday.
"One of the most common things I hear is, I didn't know what all went into a law enforcement career," said Sgt. Hoskins.
The 2020 Citizen's Academy will be held next spring.
- 'I hope to change their mind a little bit about us': Citizen's Police Academy gives look at life behind the badge
- Citizen's police academy welcomes participants
- Officials hope to change minds amid 'exquisitely contagious' measles outbreak
- Applications being accepted for citizen's law enforcement academy
- Sheriff silences Citizen's Academy with child abuse case
- Final touches change some minds on downtown gates
- Kansas mayor hopes his path from prison to politics will inspire others to change their life
- Warm & A Bit Stormy for Tuesday
- Police department to hold 2nd annual Junior Police Academy
- Police arrest suspect in Citizens Bank & Trust robbery