BREAKING NEWS Governor Parson orders statewide stay-at-home order Full Story
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Space heater to blame for house fire

Inspectors determined a space heater in the kitchen placed too close to nearby clothes caused the fire.

Posted: Oct 18, 2018 11:21 AM
Updated: Oct 18, 2018 11:57 AM

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) St Joseph Fire Department fire inspectors have detemined the cause of house fire Wednesday morning in midtown.

Inspectors determined a space heater in the kitchen placed too close to nearby clothes caused the fire.

Visible smoke could be seen coming from the home at 2420 Messanie St. when fire crews arrived on scene.

The occupant of the home was not injured, however four dogs did not survive the fire. The American Red Cross is helping the resident of the home, according to fire officials. 

The house was described as a total loss.

Article Comments

Saint Joseph
Overcast
30° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: 20°
Maryville
Overcast
28° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 29°
Feels Like: 18°
Savannah
Overcast
30° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 20°
Cameron
Overcast
30° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 32°
Feels Like: 22°
Fairfax
Overcast
29° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 29°
Feels Like: 18°
Temperatures will start to warm back up on Saturday with highs reaching back into the 50's. Another big warm up is headed our way as we go into Sunday and the first part of next week.
KQTV Radar
KQTV Temperatures
KQTV Alerts

Community Events