(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.) The National Weather Service has rated a tornado that hit Jefferson City overnight destroying homes and buildings.
A damage survey team gave the tornado a preliminary EF-3 rating.
The NWS says the twister hit Missouri's capital around 11:40 p.m. with peak winds of 160 miles per hour.
Severe weather across the state overnight left three people dead and dozens injured.
- Jefferson City tornado rated EF-3 by National Weather Service
- WATCH: Storm chaser captures video of tornado entering Jefferson City
- Man dies from injuries from tornado that hit Jefferson City
- Missouri State High School Track Championships suspended due to Jefferson City tornado damage
- NWS gives Tuesday's Effingham tornado EF-1 rating
- Mound City tornado rated EF-0 with peak winds of 70 mph, according to NWS
- Governor calls Jeff City tornado damage 'devastating'
- Tornado Watch in Effect
- Tornado warning Tuesday evening
- City installs new tornado siren in southwest St. Joseph