(JEFFERSON, Mo.)— A Lathrop, Mo. woman is $50,000 richer after winning a second choice Missouri Lottery prize.
Francie Elliot bought the winning ticket at the Holt Truck Stop, 4850 S.E. PP Highway in Holt, Mo.
Elliot bought the winning $3 "Daily Crossword" after she discovered the $5 Missouri Lottery crossword-themed Scratchers tickets were sold out.
She bought a few of the $3 tickets and soon discovered her prize money.
“I had three tickets that I was playing,” Elliot said. “This was the third ticket, and I didn’t realize that I was matching so many words until after I was done playing it. I didn’t even think it was $3 a winner.”
Elliot matched her letters with 11 complete words in the ticket's play area—awarding her a $50,000 top prize.
“I mean, I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I had to wake my husband up to have him take a look,” Elliot said. “We kept recounting and recounting to make sure we were right.”
Elliot had not made a decision for the money when she claimed it earlier this month.
- Lathrop woman wins $50,000 Missouri Lottery prize
- Mid-Buchanan Sweeps Lathrop in Home-Opening, KCI Win
- St. Joseph woman wins $351,333 share of lottery jackpot
- Second Harvest gets $50,000 donation
- Crash near Lathrop kills 79-year-old man
- Local mom wins Shop St. Joseph grand prize
- SJC Boys Upset Lathrop, Girls Fall at Home
- UPDATE: Shop St. Joseph grand prize claimed
- Aretha Franklin earns posthumous Pulitzer Prize
- Thieves steal 50,000 apples from an Indiana orchard