(ST. JOSEPH, Mo) Republicans in St. Joseph and Buchanan county were victorious at the polls on election night leaving local Democrats wondering what's next.
Major races at both the county and state levels saw the red wave of Republican victories. From Attorney General Josh Hawley's win over incumbent Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill, to local winners Tony Luetkemeyer in the state senate race and Sam Graves in a representative race.
At the national level, Democrats took the House of Representatives, but for local Democrats, there wasn't much to celebrate.
"Democrats have really got to step up there game and get some quality candidates to run for some of these offices whether its local whether its state or federal," Western Buchanan County Commissioner Ron Hook said.
Hook said Democrats need to take the lessons learned from this year's midterm elections and change public perception of the party.
"A lot of people will say 'well there's no such thing as a conservative democrat, but there are, and I feel like I'm one of them very much," Hook said.
"I think what we're seeing is a gradual, if you want to use the term, "reddening" of Buchanan County," Patrick Squires, former chairman of the Buchanan County Democratic party said.
Squires said at the local level, voters seem to have their minds made up early on.
"If they're for Donald Trump, then they're against the Democratic party locally," Squires said.
Now that the election is over, local democrats said the best way to move forward is together.
"We're one unit, and whether we're democratic or republican we're here to serve the people of Buchanan county and we're here to serve them the best we can," Hook said.
County Collector Peggy Campbell was the lone Democrat with a victory in Buchanan County Tuesday night.
- Local democrats react to midterm election results
- 2018 Midterm Election: Local & state election results
- General Municipal Election Results
- St. Joseph Primary Election Results
- St. Joseph-area election results
- Sen. Claire McCaskill votes in midterm election
- St. Joseph Municipal Primary Election Final Results
- Midterm elections set stage for series of historic firsts
- WATCH LIVE: ABC News 2018 Midterm Election coverage
- Local Gun Stores React to Recent Debate