(DAVIESS COUNTY, Mo.) A Trenton police officer was shot while transporting a prisoner through Daviess County Friday afternoon just after 3:00 p.m.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the officer, who is not being identified at this time, was transporting a prisoner on U.S. Route 69 to Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph for a mental evaluation when a struggle occurred. Sgt. Jake Angle with the highway patrol says the incident happened inside the officer's vehicle where a struggle over the officer's gun with the prisoner occurred.
The vehicle came to a stop near a gas station near Route 69 in Winston.
During the struggle, the officer was shot in the abdomen. The officer was life-flighted to the hospital but her condition is unknown. The suspect was also injured in the struggle and was taken to the hospital with a hand injury.
The highway patrol continues to investigate the incident.
Stay with KQ2 for more updates to this story.
- MSHP investigating after Trenton police officer shot during prisoner transport
- UPDATE: Trenton police officer shot during prisoner transport
- Trenton Police Investigating Body Found in Woods
- Suspect charged in shooting of Trenton Officer
- MSHP teaches the importance of driver, officer safety
- MSHP urging safety after recent heavy rain
- MSHP requests help with fatal crash
- MSHP reports 9 deaths over Christmas holiday
- MSHP urging safety during holiday celebrations
- MSHP conducts safety operation in Buchanan County