(MARYVILLE, Mo.) The Maryville city council unanimously voted Wednesday to pass a mask ordinance that will start Monday, July 27 and run until Wednesday, September 30.
The ordinance states that "all persons 10 years old or older who are present in the City of Maryville shall wear a face covering when inside public facilities or businesses that are open to the public, public transportation vehicles and outside when social distancing is not possible in groups of 10 or more persons who are not members of the same family or household."
There are exceptions to the ordinance include:
- Children between the ages of 3 and 10 are strongly encouraged, but not required to wear a face covering while under the direct supervision of an adult.
- Those who fall under the CDC’s guidance for those who should not wear face coverings due to a medical condition, mental health condition, developmental disability or are otherwise covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Those who have trouble breathing or are unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the face covering without assistance.
- Those who are at a place of public accommodation who are consuming food and drink, however such persons must wear a face covering while in waiting areas and while walking to and from searing or other parts of the premises.
- Persons engaging in organized group or team sports, exercise or other physical activities where it is not practical or feasible to wear a mask or socially distance.
- Persons who are obtaining dental care, medical treatment, or other service involving the face or nose for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service.
- Persons working in settings which might increase the risk of heat-related illnesses.
- Persons who are outdoors while maintaining physical distancing of at least six (6) feet, and person who are outdoors who are closer than six (6) feet to solely members of their own household.
All public facilities and businesses that are open to the public are required to post a sign at all entrances that face coverings or masks are required to be worn inside the facility or business.
Schools within the City of Maryville shall work with the City and Nodaway County Health Department to implement safety protocols, including the use of face coverings, that can be implemented in a safe and feasible manner at each grade level to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Face coverings should be worn by all students at the fifth-grade level and beyond.
The City of Maryville specifically orders that enforcement shall be administered by first education and an opportunity for compliance, followed by a warning, and a civil citation, if necessary. A person who fails to wear a face covering when wearing a face covering is required by the provisions of this ordinance shall be guilty of a violation of a municipal order, punishable by a fine not exceeding $100.00.
CLICK HERE to read the full ordinance.
This is a developing story, stay with KQ2 for further updates.