(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The Allied Arts Council along with Mayor Bill McMurray recognized both Dr. Laurel and Robert Vartabedian at the Mayor's Awards for the Arts ceremony Thursday evening.
The Vartabedians received an award for extraordinary achievement n the arts at the ceremony, they have been heavily invested in arts community both at Missouri Western and throughout the St. Joseph community.
"We just wanted to recognize them for the important work that they've done for the arts in St. Joseph during their tenure here," Teresa Fankhauser, the executive director of the St. Joseph Allied Arts Council said. "Not only for the impact they've made at Missouri Western, but also the contributions they've made to the community at large."
The council said the Walter Cronkite Memorial, the development of the arts program at Missouri Western State University and an initiative to put art in unsued buildings downtown were just some of the ways they've contributed to the local arts.
- Mayor's Awards for the Arts ceremony honors the Vartabedians
- MWSU says goodbye to Vartabedian
- MWSU President Vartabedian to retire in 2019
- MWSU residential hall named after retiring president, Dr. Vartabedian
- Six police officers honored at promotion ceremony
- Community Blood Center hold ceremony honoring donors
- Surprise honor for serviceman at Ft. Leavenworth ceremony
- Local VFW hosts Memorial Day ceremony, honors fallen soldiers
- Veterans in Cameron honored in special patriotic ceremony
- Art Council seeks muralists