(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) McDonald's is rolling out a new form of currency to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Big Mac.
The company is calling it a "MacCoin" and it will be handed out with every purchase of a Big Mac. This coin then can be redeemed to receive a free Big Mac beginning Friday and through the end of the year.
There are five different types of coins that you can collect.
McDonald's owner at the 3504 N Belt Hwy location in St. Joseph, Chris Habiger, is excited for the promotion for the iconic burger.
"The Big Mac is iconic." Habiger said. "It's been around 50 years. And what better way to celebrate an an icon like the Big Mac than to have its own currency."
The Big Mac was first invented in 1967 by a franchise owner in Pennsylvania.
- McDonald's celebrates 50 years of the Big-Mac
- The New Generation Singers celebrate 50 years
- Neighborhood festival celebrates 30 years
- McDonald's changes apple pie recipe
- Fleetwood Mac guitarist sues bandmates for kicking him out
- Chick-fil-A adds mac and cheese to the menu
- Trooper celebrates 25 years of service
- Angle celebrates 25 years with Highway Patrol
- Shatto Milk Company celebrates 15th year
- LifeNet celebrates 20 years in the community