(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The day ahead of Memorial Day weekend, local veterans were remembered and honored by the community.
On Friday, the Living Community of St. Joseph held a Veteran's Celebration with a tribute to veterans who have, or are currently serving.
"It makes me feel like what I did was worth it," Darin Sloan, retired Air National Guardsman, said.
The event ended with a dedication to all military personnel in the Memorial Garden. The garden has a brick path, where the Living Community laid down five bricks with the symbols of all five military branches.
"They have helped make it possible for us to have the country that we enjoy and all the freedoms that we have," Sharon Evans, Living Community of St. Joseph director, said.
The garden also allows for military families to put bricks down with the name of their loved ones.
"When people come out to look at the Memorial Garden or place bricks here for their loved ones that they will notice and acknowledge in their hearts the sacrifices that all of those people have made for our country," Evans said.
If you would like to find out more about the Memorial Garden, contact the Living Community of St. Joseph at 671-8500.
- Memorial Garden Honors Memory of Local Veterans
- Western Honors First Responders With EMS Memorial
- Gower Unveils New Memorial Honoring the Fallen
- Local group discusses crime victims memorial
- Family Holds Memorial in Honor of Stormi Harbord
- Local WWII veterans honored in Dearborn
- Mount Mora honors WWI veterans
- Clinton Shooting Bringing Back Painful Memories
- Aquatic Park to Open Memorial Weekend
- WATCH: Memorial service for Sen. John McCain