(St. Joseph, Mo.)—The Center for Student Involvement at Missouri Western State University presents the Standing in Your Truth Lecture Series with Michael Brown Sr. at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27 in the Kemper Recital Hall, Spratt Hall room 101. The presentation is free and open to the public.
Michael Brown Jr. was fatally shot by a police officer in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014. His death sparked a week of protests. Brown Sr. will share the true story of his experience of his son’s death, and reveal who Michael Brown Jr. was beyond the often demonizing media portrayals. He will speak to his joys as a parent, his loss, and his own guilt, with the ultimate goal of making sure that this doesn’t happen to anyone else. He will present a father’s perspective on confronting racism, social justice, community engagement and conflict resolution.
Brown Sr. hopes to work with the communities he speaks in to set up a chapter of “Chosen for Change,” an organization that educates youth to help one another instead of hurt one another, teaches them success and survival skills, and shows them how to be respectful of themselves and others.
- Michael Brown Sr. to speak at Missouri Western
- Northwest Runs Past Missouri Western
- Missouri Western Football Signing Day
- Missouri Western Celebrates 2017 Winter Graduates
- Missouri Western Women Continue Post-Season Run
- State Cuts Close Missouri Western Apprenticeship Program
- Western Softball Sweeps Missouri Southern Thursday
- Missouri Western Still Searching for Historic Mace
- Missouri Western dedicates Bill Snyder Pavilion
- Missouri Western moves in 1,000 new students