(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The Missouri River has been rising due to recent rainfall in the area but it is expected to crest Sunday evening below major flood stage.
As of Sunday morning, the river was at a height of 24.97 feet at 10:30 a.m. The river began rising on Friday and is up nearly five feet from Friday's levels.
The forecast from the National Weather Service brings the river to 25.1 feet Sunday evening and then it is expected to fall beginning early Monday.
The river is expected to stay in moderate flood stage through much of this week.
- Missouri River expected to crest in St. Joseph Sunday evening
- Missouri River expected to reach second highest crest on record in St. Joseph
- Lower crest expected, major flooding still forecast in St. Joseph
- Missouri River on the rise, expected to crest at 25.9 feet on Sunday
- Missouri River to crest at just over 30 feet in St. Joseph, second highest ever
- Missouri River forecast to have third highest crest ever in St. Joseph
- Missouri River sets all-time record crest in St. Joseph, preliminary data says
- Rulo, Nebraska sets record crest on Missouri River
- Missouri River reaches major flood stage, crest forecast rises