Kansas’ new Lieutenant Governor Tracey Mann made a stop in Atchison Saturday afternoon as a part of his tour across northeast Kansas.Mann spent the afternoon at The Sunflower coffee house visiting with voters and discussing the platform of Governor Jeff Colyer.
Colyer was recently named the 47th Governor of Kansas after former Gov. Sam Brownback was selected to join the Trump Administration.Colyer will finish the remainder of Brownback's term and run as the incumbent in the November election.
Mann was quickly sworn in as Lt. Governor on February 14, and less than two weeks into office the Kansas City real estate agent pledged to work work with Colyer to start running the state more like a business.
“Day one he [ Colyer] created a new position, basically the COO [Chief Operating Officer] of the state, and put someone in that position. Just in our conversations and our meetings, he is just business minded. ‘What does it mean to run the state more like a business?’ and that is kind of the focus moving forward,” Mann said.
Despite growing concerns surrounding Kansas’ ability to balance the state budget and fund their education system, Mann said the administration will be leaving the decision to the legislature.
“The Governor supports education, supports putting an end to the endless lawsuits that have been going on for 50 years, and really taking the lead on trying to get that done. But as far as what actually happens, we will see what plays out in the legislature,” Mann said.
Mann said the Colyer administration is against increasing taxes during the remainder of this term, while they focus their efforts on education and job reform.
- New Lt. Governor Makes Stop In Atchison
- MO Democratic Party Files Suit Over Lt. Governor Appointment
- Atchison police identify suspected shooter
- New YMCA Opens in Atchison,KS
- BB Gun Found in Atchison Student's Bag
- Explosion damages buildings in downtown Atchison
- Police seek van seen before Atchison bombing
- Atchison authorities search for truck in river
- Second teen dies in Atchison creek crash
- 37th annual Oktoberfest held in Atchison