(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Integrity and previous experience are two of the key qualities that will be the focus of looking for candidates to be the next superintendent of the St. Joseph School District.
At a board meeting Monday night, School Exec Connect, the search firm hired by the district, reported their candidate profile they had developed after numerous meetings with community members.
Board members agreed that previous experience as a superintendent will be an important component of a successful candidate's portfolio. They said they want someone who can take their previous experience in another district and come to St. Joseph to fix some of the problems here.
"That's a smaller pool of candidates but there are people who do that. That's probably what we're looking for," said Craig Larson, one of three School Exec Connect representatives who reported to the board of education Monday. "Somebody who really enjoys that process and can show they've done it before and they want to help St. Joe because they've got that in their heart."
Larson said his team identified 14 different qualities they will be looking for as they canvas the nation for applicants. He said that they are already in the process of preliminarily screening some applicants. Their goal is to have a list of 5-7 finalists for the board of education to review.
School Exec Connect is based out of Minneapolis. The board of education is paying them around $25,000 to assist in the superintendent seearch.
Larson did tell the board that because of the unique nature of the St. Joseph job and some of the problems the district has had in the past, his firm is getting lower response from national advertisements about the open position.
School Exec Connect reported that they will have that list of finalists for the job ready for the board for their meeting scheduled on January 8.
- Profile Reviewed in SJSD Superintendent Search
- SJSD Superintendent Search: Bill Cowling
- SJSD Board Reviews Search Firm's Recommendations for Superintendent
- SJSD Superintendent Search: Doug Van Zyl
- Minneapolis-Based Firm to Lead SJSD Superintendent Search
- SJSD Seeks Community Input at Superintendent Search Town Hall
- Sparse Crowd at 1st SJSD Superintendent Search Mtg.
- SJSD to Hold Second Town Hall Meeting for Superintendent Search
- SJSD Superintendent Search Narrowed Down to Five Candidates
- Community leaders meet with new SJSD superintendent