(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Fresh off a National Title in the 2016-2017 season, the Northwest Men's Basketball team was voted a near unanimous No. 1 in the NABC Coaches Poll.
Northwest received 15 of the 16 first place votes. The only other team to receive a first place nod was Queens out of North Carolina.
However, this year's Northwest team lost a fair amount from last year's.
Sharpshooting forward Zach Schneider, the MIAA all-time leader in three-pointers made, graduated but is a graduate assistant in 2017. The team also lost Anthony Woods, who was an energetic and physical guard.
But this season's squad returns last season's Division II National Player of the Year, Justin Pitts.
Being ranked first in the preseason is a nice accolade, but head coach Ben McCollum doesn't want them to buy into the hype just yet.
"They need to understand that we are not a number one team right now and I don't think we're practicing like one right now," McCollum said. "I think we need to get better in practice. I think our detail need to improve drastically. Just a lot of things that, was naturally created last year you have to now manufacture."
Northwest will begin their Title defense on Nov. 10th against Upper Iowa.
- Northwest Basketball Ranked No. 1 in NABC Preseason Poll
- Bearcat Men's Basketball Named Preseason No. 1
- Northwest Men's basketball finishes perfect season as national champions
- Northwest Runs Past Missouri Western
- Northwest Fraternity House Shuts Down
- Northwest Baseball Struggles in Kearney
- Northwest Names Interim Athletic Director
- Severe Weather Hits Northwest Missouri
- Northwest reinstates TKE fraternity chapter
- Chiefs 2018 Preseason Schedule Comes Out