(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The names of the officers who were involved in a shooting connected to a man's death in St. Joseph have been released.
The officers involved in the shooting were identified as St. Joseph Police officer Matt Kneib, 17-year veteran, and SJPD officer Brett Sagel, 2-year veteran. The man who died was Christopher L. Kelly, 42.
The shooting took place at a home at 1007 S. 12th Street on Dec. 29. According to police, Kelly displayed a handgun to officers while they were on scene to execute an arrest warrant. Officers then fired on Kelly striking him several times. He was later pronounced dead at Mosaic Life Care. No officers received any injuries.
Kneib and Sagel have returned to work and are currently on administrative assignment.
Following the shooting, the Missouri State Highway Patrol was asked to step-in to investigate the circumstances leading up to Kelly's death. The incident remains under investigation.
- Officers identified in officer-involved shooting in St. Joseph
- Suspect charged in officer-involved shooting incident
- No Charges in Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting
- UPDATE: Man dies after officer-involved shooting
- Community Honors Retired St. Joseph Police Officer at Benefit Dinner
- Man Threatening Suicide Dies After Officer-Involved Shooting
- Two People Charged After Officer-Involved Shooting Monday
- Update: One injured in officer-involved shooting in Atchison.
- Investigation of an officer-involved shooting underway Thursday
- St. Joseph Christmas Decorations