(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Emergency officials have confirmed that the substance found in an envelope sent to St. Joseph Mayor Bill McMurray was human ashes.
According to Buchanan County Emergency Manager Bill Brinton, HAZMAT crews confirmed the substance as human ashes.
The discovery of the envelope containing the ashes led to emergency officials responding to the scene and closing off part of City Hall.
RELATED STORY: Substance found in envelope addressed to mayor at City Hall
The ashes were found in an envelope that was resealed with scotch tape and was discovered by a city employee around 11:00 a.m. Monday morning.
- Officials: Substance sent to mayor identified as human ashes
- Substance found in envelope addressed to mayor at City Hall
- Medicaid Expands Substance Abuse Treatment
- Mayor's Office: Police respond to City Hall after odd substance was found in mail
- Royals Outfielder Suspended for Using a Performance-Enhancing Substance
- Woman seeks return of loved one's stolen ashes
- Christians mark the start of Lent with Ash Wednesday services
- St. Joseph Mayoral Debate
- Austin Bombing Suspect Identified
- Elementary Students Quiz Mayoral Candidates