(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) A St. Joseph mother has been charged with the death of her six-month-old baby, and police confirm another child at the scene was was taken into protective services.
The incident happened overnight Friday at an apartment complex on Texas Avenue.
According to a probable cause statement, a witness told investigators that Sydney Jones, 27, submerged the baby completely under water. Jones allegedly pinned the infant down to an inflatable child's tub inside of a tub while the water was running. The infant died
One neighbor said Jones had another son, who she believed was four-years-old.
"She was a very private person. She didn't really come outside a lot," Blair Cox, neighbor, said. "The times that the kids did come outside, which I never really saw the baby, but I've seen the little boy, the four-year-old. He was always excited to play with other little boys because he didn't get to come outside very often. "
Police said Saturday that a child was taken into protective services, but didn't give any details about the child's identity.
Cox said she remembers seeing all of the police outside the apartment complex late Thursday night, saying they were at the scene until early Friday morning.
"It made me sick to my stomach, it really did. I had a hard time coming back home because just looking at that apartment, and I've actually seen those boys a couple of times," Cox said. "I cried a couple of times. It's disgusting that someone could do that to their kids."
Cox said she was told the four-year-old child sustained injuries as well, but police have not confirmed that detail.
Jones faces a felony charge of child abuse resulting in death, and will appear in court for an arraignment on Tuesday.
Jones' bond has been set for $100,000.
- Police Confirm Toddler is in Protective Services After Mother Charged with Drowning Infant Son
- Mother Charged in Death of Infant Appears in Court
- Trial underway for mother accused of drowning her baby
- Mother guilty of drowning baby in bath tub
- Mother sentenced to life for drowning baby in bathtub
- UPDATE: 10-Month-Old Infant and Mother Found Safe
- Bethany Man Drowns in Arkansas
- Fisher-Price Rock 'n Play sleepers recalled as officials confirm over 30 infant deaths
- Atchison police officer credited for saving choking infant